Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter in Wakiso

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of reconnecting with my homestay family in Wakiso, having not seen them since Christmas 2010.

Journeying back to the Town and house I called home for the first two months in-country, it felt a little surreal, and brought back a lot of memories. Much has changed in the last 1 1/2 years.

What's changed at my homestay?

The family employed a new housegirl, Vira.

Joanne, my homestay sister now in Primary 5, left Wakiso to attend a private, Catholic boarding school near Mukono.

Kathy, my other homestay sister, is working a secretarial job in Tororo, about 1 hour outside Mbale.

Kalinda Betty, my homestay mother, retired from her secretarial job in Kampala.

David, my homestay brother, is studying at university to earn his undergraduate degree in Education (he previously taught business, computers, accounting, and entrepreneurship at a secondary school).

Achilles, my other homestay brother, finished his studies, and now works for Umeme doing electrical repair and wiring in Kampala.

Gulu Gulu, the pet goat, met his ill fate last December. He was the victim of a Christmas family dinner.

I feel very fortunate to have been placed with such a great family. There is no better feeling than, upon entering the compound, members of your homestay family immediately running up to hug and greet you with, "Bry-an-ee, you are most welcome. You've been lost for far too long."

Just how great are they? Instead of cooking just the usual matooke, rice, beans, and goats/cow meat this Easter, they accomodated my picky eating preferences by also preparing chicken, irish potatoes, greens, and a variety of fruits for every meal.

The Easter weekend also included attending Sunday mass, watching a Manchester United soccer match, and paying a surprise visit to Joanne at her boarding school.

I couldn't have asked for a better time.













No comments:

Post a Comment