Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Less than two weeks and counting...

With less than two weeks before I leave for staging (pre-departure orientation August 9) in Philly, these last couple weeks will be spent hanging with friends and family, buying last-minute essentials, preparing myself mentally, and enjoying luxuries such as home-cooked meals (my cooking doesn't come close) and a reliable internet connection.

Since I received my invitation to serve in Uganda in late-May, my life has seemingly moved at a whirl-wind pace. I left my job - residential counselor at the Bridge of Central MA - on July 15; leaving was incredibly bitter-sweet. Despite only working there for little more than a year, I formed close relationships with both the Oberlin Street clients and staff. I considered them to be my "second family" if you will.

To the Oberlin Street staff, it was a pleasure working alongside and getting to know each of you. I could not have asked for a better group of people to learn from, laugh with, speak Spanish to (Que pasa mi mija Maria), and have my lunch food scrutinized over (you know who you are).

To the Oberlin Street clients, thank you for letting me in on your lives. I will never forget your quirks, our daily conversations, and our trips driving around Worcester. You are inspirational people, and I can earnestly say that you all made a tremendous impact on my life. I give you this last piece of advice:

Whether it be your goal to earn your GED, reunite with your daughter, obtain your driver's permit, or quit smoking for good, NEVER give up on your dreams, your short-/long-term goals, and on your path toward recovery.

Here is my staging info. The following is my mailing address for the NEXT THREE MONTHS. Once I am sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer in October, my address will change. I will let you know the new address when I get it.

Bryan Kobick, PCT
P.O. Box 29348
Kampala, Uganda

Any mail is greatly appreciated. If you want to send me something, consider using a padded envelope instead of a box. The Ugandan mail system can be corrupt, so padded envelope packages are less likely to be tampered with than boxes. It also helps if you write "Air Mail" or "Par Avion" on the envelope, and address me as "Father Bryan Kobick" and draw religious symbols on the package. No, I am not converting religions. No, I do not plan to come back to the States as a priest. Packages that look religiously sacred are, again, less likely to be tampered with than boxes. Finally, please be aware that it can take anywhere from 1-3 months for mail to arrive in Uganda. So anything you send me in January may not arrive until March, and vice-versa.

Until then, less than two weeks and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment