Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Last Week of Training & First Week at Site

Here is a summary of my past two weeks - last week of training and first week at site.

Friday, October 15th: We were tested on how proficiently we learned our target language over the past 8 weeks. My Final LPI (Language Proficiency Index), taped for 30 minutes, consisted of a series of questions asked in Ateso about greetings, food, market/shopping/costs, and travel to our future site visit. In order to pass, the Peace Corps requires volunteers to score an "Intermediate Low", which is what I scored, meaning that I don't have to test my language proficiency again at the three-month, in-service training in Kampala. I still plan on hiring a tutor in Ateso so that I can become fluent in the language.

Saturday, October 16th: We had our homestay thank you event at RACO, which consisted of performances (dances, songs, skits, introductions) by each of the language groups, speeches by a couple of the volunteers, and lots of food. All of the homestay families attended, including my homestay mother (Ms. Betty), sister (Joan), and brother (David). It was a great conclusion to the end of training.

Sunday, October 17th: I packed up all my stuff, thanked my homestay family for their gracious hospitality, and bid farewell. It was bitter-sweet to say goodbye not only to our families, but also to the town of Wakiso. The town and residents of Wakiso have been incredibly welcoming to the 45 'mzungus' that moved in 8 weeks ago.

Monday, October 18th-Wednesday, October 20th: Volunteers and our site supervisors/counterparts met at the Rider Hotel near Kampala for a series of workshops on community integration, the expectations/responsibilities of volunteers and supervisors/counterparts, foreseeable issues and challenges, and safety & security training. On Tuesday, we visited the U.S. embassy. A number of the embassy officials who spoke with us were not only Peace Corps alumni, but also Foreign Service Officers. Hearing them talk about their work sparked a new career interest for me. The Foreign Service exam is ostensibly the most difficult exam to pass, but still a career in international relations (e.g. working at an embassy) or global marketing and living overseas are things I see myself doing in the future.

Thursday, October 21st: Our swear-in ceremony was today! Before we were sworn in as official Peace Corps volunteers, it started to downpour. Since Ugandans believe that rain is a sign of good things to come, it can be argued that it rained at an opportune time. All 45 Peace Corps trainees who boarded a plane together from Philadelphia in August were sworn in together as volunteers. We all stuck through the 2 1/2 months of training, and are now moving on to positive, sustainable work and development in our respective communities. Here's a facebook link about our swear-in ceremony: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=233040&id=110634980913&fbid=440904650913&ref=mf.

Friday, October 22nd: I bid farewell to my fellow Peace Corps volunteers, and traveled to site to Kachumbala.

Saturday, October 23rd: I played soccer with secondary school kids in the village. It was evident just how out of shape I am.

Sunday, October 24th: To begin integrating into the community, I attended services at the Catholic Church next to my house. Father Paul, one of my work colleagues, delivered the sermon. My language skills were immediately tested when he called me up in front of the congregation of 500 people and asked me to introduce myself in Ateso. This is the translation of what I said.

Yoga Kere! (Hello all)
Ekirori ka Bryan, kede bukosi America. (My name is Bryan, and I am from America)
Arai eong eswaman atitai kede erionget lo Peace Corps. (I am a male volunteer working for the Peace Corps organization)
Alosi eong esisianakin aila kede aijar najokan, kede amusugun kede aimar toma osomero ko Kachumbala. (I will be teaching
good health and hygiene, and english and math in schools in Kachumbala)
Eyalama awunyun. (Happy to see you)

Members of the congregation found it hysterical that a mzungu could speak their local language. Afterward, I accompanied Father Paul to the nearby village of Chodong, where I witnessed my first Ugandan wedding and baptism. Ugandan weddings are very different from American weddings. Hundreds of people (the whole village) were crowded together in a small town meeting/conference center building. It was a very joyous occasion, with villagers singing and playing local instruments throughout the ceremony. I definitely got the Ugandan, cultural experience. Pictures are on facebook.

Monday, October 25th-Tuesday, October 26th: My supervisor, Rose, introduced me to a number of government, health, and religious officials in Kuchumbala, Bukedea, Sororti, and other surrounding communities.

Closing Thoughts:

1. I have yet to move into my house because it is still being worked on. I am told that it should be ready within two weeks. In the meantime, I am living in the guesthouse at my site.

2. In addition to the food, the constant, unwanted attention has been challenging. I clearly am the spectacle, the gossip, and the center of attention in my community. I sometimes feel like I am Harry Potter. Instead of being judged for my scar, I am judged on the basis of the color of my skin. However, I am fully aware that when a 'white person' moves into a small, Ugandan village, it is as much an adjustment for the white person as it is for the residents of that village. I am hopeful that as I integrate more into the community, the stares and cultural judgments (Americans are rich) will diminish.

3. I feel very fortunate to have such a great supervisor. To say that Rose is knowledgeable, resourceful, overprotective, and on-top-of-things would be an understatement.

4. I finally got a mailbox in Mbale. My mailing address is now:

Bryan Kobick
P.O. Box 1274
Mbale, Uganda

Hopefully, I will now figure out how to mail letters back to the States from the Post Office in Mbale.

Until next time,
Bryan

1 comment:

  1. This is the coolest, Bryan. It sounds like you are having a truly wonderful experience! :)

    ReplyDelete