Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"You've Been Lost"

"Lost?"

A word that has a multitude of meanings. According to my online dictionary, the adjective "lost" has 9 different definitions.

(1) "No longer possessed or retained"
(2) "No longer to be found"
(3) "Having gone astray or missed the way; bewildered as to place or direction"
(4) "Not used to good purpose, as opportunities, time, or labor; wasted"
(5) "Being something that someone has failed to win"
(6) "Ending in or attended with defeat"
(7) "Destroyed or ruined"
(8) "Preoccupied; rapt"
(9) "Distracted; distraught; desperate; hopeless"

What does this have to do with Peace Corps or living in Uganda? Stemming from definition #2, I am constantly told, "Apollo, where have you been? You've been lost," everytime I've returned to Kachumbala from a weekend or weeklong trip, had to stay indoors to complete work on my computer, or ventured somewhere else for the day. Perceiving the word's apparent negative connotation, it initially angered me to be repeatedly told, "You've been lost." Have I really gone astray or become preoccupied? Have I "lost" my way?

Eventually, being able to no longer contain my mixed feelings of resentment and curiousity, I asked my supervisor what it meant to be "lost." She immediately started to laugh. Ah cultural misconceptions! I was informed that being "lost" is temporarily no longer being seen, being missed, not being in a place for a certain period of time. Does it mean that I have "lost" my way? No. Is it intended as an insult? No. It simply is a polite way of saying, "I have not seen you in a while."

Now, when I'm told, "You've been lost," I just laugh and acknowledge my "lost" presence. I am leaving Kachumbala on Friday to celebrate Easter at another volunteer's site, to promote World Malaria Day, and subsequently to Kampala for a few days. Upon my return to site, I am fully prepared to hear the 3 words I've grown so accustomed to. "You've been lost."

1 comment:

  1. Bryan, I loved reading this passage! Just think, "Intercultural Communications!"

    Miss you!

    Jenny C.

    ReplyDelete