Friday, May 20, 2011

Miracles Do Happen

"This could not be happening to me, again."

This was my first thought as I was breathlessly running down Jinja road in downtown Kampala, chasing after the matatu in which I had left my wallet (it fell out of my pants' pocket). To no avail, the matatu did not stop. I tried to get the matatu's license plate number, but it was a good 50-60ft in front of me. My vision was blurred. There was no hope. Everything in my wallet (passport excluded), including my credit cards, Peace Corps ID, and driver's license, was likely gone for good. It's a terrible, deflating, stomach-churning feeling when you realize 20 seconds too late that you are missing your wallet, then only to watch the matatu (in which you left your wallet) drive away in the distance with no intention of stopping.

I frantically called my parents (2PM my time, 7AM their time) to immediately cancel my credit cards, and then Peace Corps to let them know of the incident. It wasn't until Sunday night, the same day, that I got a call from Peace Corps staff, informing me that all my credit cards, Peace Corps ID, and driver's license were found, literally, on the side of Jinja road, and turned in to the police by a good samaritan. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. These kinds of miracles don't happen, especially not to me...in Uganda.

Because I was moneyless, Peace Corps picked me up early the next morning from my Kampala hotel, and drove me to the Jinja Road Police Station, where all of my lost possessions seemingly were located. Sure enough, 5 minutes later, visible to my relieved, overjoyed eyes, nearly everything that I'd lost was indeed found.

According to police reports, a passenger found my wallet inside the matatu, and proceeded to steal the money inside (100,000 UGX, roughly $40) and the wallet itself but threw everything else outside the window, onto the side of Jinja road. A good samaritan, returning from morning prayers, found the cards and turned them over to the police.

Other than swearing in as an official Peace Corps volunteer, I earnestly can't think of a time where I've been more relieved in my 9 months in-country.

What have I learned from the experience?
* To never again wear athletic pants, while simulatenously carrying my wallet and phone, when using Ugandan transportation (or any mode of transportation for that matter).
* To be more consciously aware and protective of my belongings.
* There are good samaritans everywhere, regardless of the country, state, city, or village.
* Miracles do happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment