Saturday, July 9, 2011

A University Graduation...Ugandan-Style!

On Friday, July 1st, I attended Rose's (my old supervisor) graduation from Ugandan Christian University (UCU) - she recieved her Bachelor's degree in Social Work and Social Administration - with her sister, Allen. Not only was I excited to attend her graduation to celebrate her academic accomplishment, but also to compare, in general terms, how university graduations in Uganda (UCU) compare to those in the United States (Clark University). In many respects, other than being only one of three muzungus at a graduation in which thousands of people were present, UCU's ceremony compared similarily to a graduation ceremony at Clark. Both graduations were conducted entirely in English; the traditional, graduation attire of the cap and gown were worn by graduates at both; and both consisted of hundreds of proud family members, relatives, and friends in attendance. Nevertheless, there were many distinguishable differences:

Graduation at Ugandan Christian University in Uganda:
(a) Grading scale out of 5.0.
(b) Graduating honors: First-class (4.6-5.0), Second-class (4.0-4.59)
(c) The majority of pictures - graduates in their caps and gowns posing with family and friends - were taken BEFORE the graduation so that photographers/picture vendors had enough time to process, print, and return the pictures to the graduates upon the conclusion of the ceremony.
(d) Photography and cameras were not allowed at the ceremony due to the potential terrorist/bomb threat.
(e) The ceremony commenced two hours late past its anticipated start time, yet it still managed to end on time (four hour ceremony).
(f) The ceremony started with a procession/march of only university faculty. Graduates were already seated.
(g) No student speaker
(h) The guest speaker focused his speech largely around religion, and encouraged graduates to follow and adhere to the teachings of Christ.
(i) Graduates sat on the opposite side and directly facing their family/friends during the ceremony.
(j) Master's/Graduate students were divided by department, and recieved their diplomas (as their names were called out) as a collective group. Bachelor's students also were divided by department, and recieved their diplomas (as their names were called out) as a collective group.

Graduation at Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts, U.S.A.:
(a) Grading scale out of 4.0.
(b) Latin honors of graduates: Summa Cum Laude (3.7-4.0), Magna Cum Laude (3.5-3.69), Cum Laude (3.25-3.49).
(c) Pictures were taken both BEFORE and AFTER the graduation ceremony. As far as I can remember, there were no individual photographers/picture vendors at the ceremony offering to take, process, and print graduation pictures. Family and friends merely took the pictures themselves.
(d) Photography and cameras were allowed, and pictures of graduates recieving their diplomas were taken throughout the ceremony.
(e) The ceremony commenced right on time, yet it still managed to conclude far longer than its anticipated end time (four hour ceremony).
(f) The ceremony started with a procession/march of all professors and graduating students. Graduates were not initially seated.
(g) One student speaker
(h) The guest speaker focused his speech around civic engagement, volunteerism, and global awareness, and encouraged graduates to be role model citizens in their communities.
(i) Graduates sat in front of and facing in the same direction as their family/friends during the ceremony.
(j) Master's/Graduate students were divided by department, but they recieved their diplomas (as their names were called out) one-by-one. Bachelor's students were NOT divided by department, but rather grouped as one class, and they recieved their diplomas (as their names were called out) one-by-one.

I particularly enjoyed watching just how proud parents were of their children as they recieved their diplomas. Some parents clapped, others cried out joyfully, some even yelled remarks such as, "My child, be grateful to your dear parents on this day," translated by Allen for me in English (from Luganda).

Congratulations again to Rose on her academic accomplishment!

In other news...

* To wish Father Paul well on his three-week trip to Germany, we had a five-hour dance party at the Mission on Thursday night, dancing to local Ateso music, popular Ugandan music, and American dance beats. Everybody had a good laugh, either because I was surprisingly good or pathetically dreadful, when I started dancing Ateso-style. Note: as a group, Ugandans are far better dancers than Americans. It was, hands-down, one of the the best and most enjoyable nights I've had in Uganda.

* Last Sunday after morning mass, using Father Okurut's projector and my computer, I attempted to show Hotel Rwanda and War Dance to a congregation of 300 people. All went as planned...until the power went off one hour into Hotel Rwanda. We waited five minutes for the power to come back. It did not. Everybody proceeded to leave. Five minutes later, as I predictably expected, the power came back. This Sunday, with power n'all, I hope to finish Hotel Rwanda, hold a discussion about it, and show War Dance. Yet with the power constantly fluctuating on-and-off everyday this month, this may be asking too much.

* I could not be more pleased with the progress of my Health Group at the Dispensary. After Rose's departure, I was admittedly concerned that the group would fall apart, either that patients wouldn't show up or that other staff wouldn't take ownership in the group. I am happy to admit that I could not have been more wrong. While I was away on my trip with Julie and Fiery, sessions on Terbuculosis (TB) and Rabies, that I had prepared beforehand, were taught to groups of 35 and 40 people, respectively. This past Thursday, Emma and I led a session on Typhoid to a group of 20 patients. This coming week, I've prepared sessions on Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) and Cholera. I'm still deciding whether to reteach sessions already covered (malaria prevention, water sanitation, personal hygiene, family planning, mental health/wellness) or continue to introduce new topics. My vision is that by the time I leave site in October 2012, I will have prepared, typed, and compiled 40 health topics/sessions into a manual for the staff at the Dispensary to use long after I leave.

* I was psyched when I found out last Wednesday that the secondary school at which I teach recently recieved 11 brand-new computers from the government. Indeed, teachers at the school have been waiting for and expecting these computers for months, but I half-believed that the computers would never come. Come the beginning of Term 3 (September), after the room is cleaned and restored, I hope to begin teaching computer classes - during break, lunch, or after school - on Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), serfing the Internet (if available), and keyboard typing. Keep you posted.

* Yesterday, my organization acquired a new pet, a mut pup whose new Ateso name I still can't pronounce. Right now, the pup seems to be in overall good health; I am currently in the process of getting it a rabies shot.

That's all for now. Hope everybody had a good 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment