Saturday, December 25, 2010

Homestay Family 2.0 or Homestay Family 'not' 2.0...that is the Question..??

It is dangerous to join the Peace Corps with preconceived notions or expectations. Yet when one seemingly puts on hold his or her life for two years to serve a greater good, to abandon current luxuries and comforts in search of a greater purpose, to challenge him- or herself physically, mentally, and interpersonally, it is impossible not to start thinking ahead about the future and formulating assumptions about what one's Peace Corps experience may or may not be like.

(Before embarking on my two-year service to Uganda) I was certainly guilty of this.

One of my preconceived notions stemmed from the literature, narratives, and the first-hand accounts I read from prior Peace Corps volunteers about their experiences. Quintessentially, I imagined living in a grass-thatched house in a remote area, having to fend entirely for myself. I imagined having to 'toughen' it out. I imagined unwesternized customs in Uganda's capital city of Kampala. Most notably, I imagined living a quiet, independent lifestyle.

My "imaginations" could not have been further from the truth, hence Peace Corps's advice to come to Uganda without any preconceived notions or expectations.

Living more than two full months at site, my lack of independence and the semblance of a second homestay family (2.0) have most surprised me. Those who have read my previous blog posts know that I lived with a homestay family for my first 2 1/2 months in Uganda. I anticipated living solely on my own thereafter. I could not have been more wrong. The staff (Priests, workers, chef, friends of the organization) at Kachumbala Mission Dispensary not only eat, drink, and work together, but also live together. Instead of eating dinner by myself, for instance, I eat in a sitting room/common area with eight other people talking boisterously, watching T.V., and drinking "ajon" (local brew). Perhaps this shouldn't have come as much of a surprise, given Ugandans' familial and collectivistic tendencies.

It's as if I gained a second homestay family. What I lack in independence I gain in social and familial support. This is neither a good nor a bad thing; it's just 'different' from what I imagined four months back.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bryan, and happy holidays from a *very* snowy Cambridge!

    It's really great that you have a nice community of people to eat, live and work with. I know how much you are looking forward to the completion of work on your own house -- but, I hope that once your house is finally ready to move in to you will still have the chance to eat with others! I think that the simple act of sharing food is one of the most fundamental ways to form trusting, solid friendships with others. It is no accident that we use meals to gather around on holidays, to celebrate life achievements, to test a new romance (on a first date) and to honor an old one (on an anniversary).

    Sadly, I suspect that Americans are eating fewer and fewer of their meals together with others. Long commutes and busy workdays make it difficult to avoid a "grab and go" approach to breakfast and lunch. A quick google search suggests that Americans eat about 1/5 meals in the car!

    Anyhow, I can't think of a better way for you to build friendships and community than by eating together with others.

    Keep writing!

    Fiery

    ReplyDelete