Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My bad...

Peace Corps service is all about embracing new experiences. Here is a running list of the bad (new) experiences, some from my owndoing, that have challenged me, deflated my spirits, and utterly grossed me out. Upon the conclusion of my Peace Corps service (October 2012), I can look back on them all and laugh. Nothing else can provide me with such fascinating, challenging, self-reflecting experiences as the Peace Corps.

1. I dropped my cell phone in a 10 ft. pit latrine. I had hopes of digging it out through whatever means possible. However, this was not meant to be. To the best of my knowledge, the light on my cell phone is still shining bright in the pit.

2. While visiting Sipi Falls near Mbale with other PCV's, I dropped my camera in, well, Sipi Falls. Luckily, my stupidity did not fry my camera. Unluckily, I had to pay $60,000 Ugandan schillings to fix it.

3. My Mac computer got stolen on a bus traveling from Kampala to Mbale. The thief snatched the computer from my pack. I was not aware that it was stolen until I arrived back at site. Mbale police were notified, but I'm 99% certain my computer is long gone. Thanks to my parents, I bought a new computer in Kampala, switching to HP and back to PC.

4. Due to the Ugandan diet/lack of variety, I had nausea and vomiting for a week. It was not a pleasant experience.

5. Last week, I got 3 mango flies on my left leg. A mango fly that had landed on my clothes laid 3 eggs on one pair of pants, attaching and entering my skin (once worn). The eggs/maggots were eventually extracted from my leg. This also was not a pleasant experience.

6. Three weeks ago, I got Nairobi Eye on my left eye. I was bitten by a beetle ant on my eye while I was sleeping. A day later, my left eye had extreme sunburn, skin irritation, and roughened/pasted skin. Until my eye was fully healed, Ugandan children were utterly terrified of me. "Ahh, look at the mzungu..."

In spite of all these experiences, I still have a very positive outlook on why I am here, my reasons for joining the Peace Corps, and the potential for great work at site in the upcoming 20 months. I cannot wait to see what the future holds. Bring on the mango flies!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bryan,
    Sounds like you have had quite a spell of bad luck! I think you are right that one day you will laugh about all these things. I admit, I found myself chuckling as I read, but then I was not going through all this. I am trying to picture you in the warm weather of Uganda as I sit in flickering lights in the midst of "thunder snow" here in Washington, DC. We are having quite a storm.
    Keep up your good spirits
    Lynnwood

    ReplyDelete