Friday, April 6, 2012

A Flea Infestation

Do you easily get "bugged" out?

If so, be glad that you are not serving in the Peace Corps. If you are serving/going to serve in the Peace Corps, I hope you can learn from my unfortunate run-ins with bugs.

First, it was mango (tumba) flies. Next, it was nairobi ants. All the time, it's mosquitoes. Now, it's fleas. Hundreds of fleas.

I still have no explanation as to how my room, and only my room, was infested with a family of fleas, who presumably attacked while I was asleep. Don't believe me? See the visual evidence below:







After overspraying my room with two cans of insecticide, I am cautiously optimistic, though making no guarantees, that this flea infestation is now eradicated.

Only in the Peace Corps - "the toughest job that you will ever love" - can one get so well-acquainted and personal with countless bug species.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me when I boarded with a lady in Connecticut during graduate school. I was the only one getting bitten. One night I noticed little black critters falling on my bed and looked up to see that the ceiling was covered with them. They previously had a dog which had fleas and hung out in the attic above my room, so they would come out at night and feast only on me. We had to fog the place with insecticide to get rid of them. Bugs like me too-especially mosquitoes. I guess we're just 'sweet'

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother was also burdened with bugs when he came back from Cambodia. He had an insect bite a size of a dot, but as weeks passed by, it grew larger and he started to feel extreme pain on the exact area of the bite. “There is a larvae in your leg,” was what the doctor said when we have him checked. It turned out that a Botfly laid an egg on his leg. Luckily, it was treated right away. We also sanitized our home to ensure that no one else would be infected.

    Lucile Lynch

    ReplyDelete