Friday, April 27, 2012

How To Catch A Bus Thief

I never thought it would, or could, happen to me. Peace Corps staff warned us repeatedly about it during training. I took note of their warnings, but I trusted my gut instincts and skills of perception/observation. I never imagined that I could be the victim of bus theft.

I was naive.

I (and my possessions) was targeted, and I didn't even know it.

January 2011. Aboard Elgon Flyer, heading back to site after spending Christmas with my homestay family, my Mac computer was snatched from my backpack after I left my seat for a short-call. I had stored my backpack in the overhead luggage space above my seat amongst other passengers' belongings. I couldn't have been away for longer than a minute, but it was a minute too long, a minute I still regret, a minute in which I left my backpack, and everything inside it, unprotected.

No, the bathroom break was not worth $1,800 (the value of my ex-MacBook Pro).

The thief was smart. He/she did not steal my backpack, as I surely, hopefully, would have noticed its disappearence, but only my computer and power cable. Upon returning to my seat, it never crossed my mind to check inside my backpack to ensure that everything was still there. It didn't feel any noticeably lighter when I carried it, pack on back, getting off the bus in Mbale. I was completely unaware that my computer was gone until I arrived back in Kachumbala. By then, it was too late.

From then onward, I've sworn to myself never to again make such a stupid, costly mistake. This would soon be tested.

Traveling back to site after Easter weekend a few weeks ago, I was targeted for a second time. This time, I was prepared.

1) Halfway through the trip back to Mbale, the suspected thief quietly moved from the back of the bus into the seat across from mine, even with plenty of other vacant seats available. This was my first warning sign.
2) He continually looked at my backpack. When I'd catch his glance and stare back at him, he'd instantly look away. This happened numerous times.
3) He wore a winter jacket, a winter jacket on a hot day, and carried a briefcase, a briefcase large enough to stash away and hide a stolen laptop (claiming its his own).
4) His body language and facial expressions came off as apprehensive yet alert and preoccupied, as if he had a specific target (my backpack) and objective (to steal it). He did not come off as just any other normal passenger.
5) He seemed to really focus in on the passengers and things around him when the bus stopped for a pit stop midway through the trip. He was actively looking around at the seats in front of, behind, next to, and across from (my seat) his, as if looking for the ideal theft opportunity.

What You Should Avoid:
1) Never fall asleep without first securing/locking your possessions.
2) Never leave your things unprotected and open for the taking, for any period of time, especially if you are traveling alone.
3) Never let your attention get diverted. It only takes a few seconds of distraction for a thief to steal your stuff when you’re not expecting it. Also be aware of potential secondary parties that could be assisting the thief.
4) Never entrust any stranger you just met with your things, even the friendly grandma sitting next to you.

What You Should Do:
1) Always remain alert.
2) Use travel locks to secure bag pockets and zippers.
3) Trust your gut instincts. More often than not, they're right.

My intention for writing this post is not to garner sympathy from readers by recounting my situational stupidity. Rather, I hope that other PCV's, travellers, volunteers, and anyone else reading this can learn from my experience to avoid repeating the same mistake.

1 comment:

  1. My Bryan. I'm glad you didn't become a victim again. I bought a cheap $129 netbook from CVS drug store for my travels. It has just the bare bones-a keyboard, mobile email, and WIFI. If it is lost or stolen, I would not mourn. Stay alert!

    ReplyDelete