Friday, March 11, 2011

The Madness of March

Those who know me best know that my favorite time of year is in early spring. "Why?"

The changing of the seasons from winter to spring?
Daylight savings (setting clocks forward - gets darker later)?
St. Patrick's Day?
Spring training and the anticipation of the upcoming baseball season?


No. Early spring is my favorite time of year because of a collegiate, nation-wide sporting competition that puts 'bracketology' at the forefront of every likeminded fan's mind.

Who will be the first #1 seed to go down? Which 'sleeper team' will make the Final Four? Who will win the national championship? What will be the "perfect bracket"?

These are all questions I tackle as I listen to ESPN college basketball analysts make their predictions, do my online research, and fill, refill, double-refill, and triple-refill my backet until I am satisfied. On average, I probably go through 5-6 backets every year re-perfecting my bracket. In actuality, I just shoot myself in the foot. Do I ever trust my first instincts? Never. I always question why I have Kentucky beating Duke or Purdue beating Florida. It is an obsession for me. But this second-guessing is also why I love March Madness so much. I love the unpredictability, the parity, and the suspense of the tournament, when any team can make a magical, Final Four run like George Mason did in 2006. Do I drive myself crazy with my second-guessing? Absolutely. Will I continue to do so, year in and year out? You betcha.

No comments:

Post a Comment