Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Work Updates

"A Finalized Budget"

Mentioned in previous posts, my primary project is to help fundraise for the construction of a maternity and child's ward adjecent to the dispensary. Over the past couple of days, the projected budget for the project was finalized, factoring in the expenses for the required materials for site clearence/excavation; the construction of the building's ceilings, walls, windows, doors, and internal/external finishings; and for labor and the transport of materials, supplies, and equipment to the work site (a majority of which has to be purchased in Mbale 20 minutes away). As it stands now, the projected cost of the building estimates at 96 million Ugandan schillings, or roughly $40,000. If you'd like me to forward you the excel spreadsheet of the projected budget, please let me know.

Our next step is to begin sensitizing the community through public outreaches and meetings with community/religious leaders, as well as reaching out to potential donors in the area. In the next couple of months, I also hope to train community members in proposal/grant writing. While I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll be able to fundraise the projected amount in the next 1 1/2 years, I hope to inspire people to take ownership in the project themselves, for instance developing their own strategies for reaching the target sum.

"The Benefits of Worksheets"

Although I've been co-teaching S3 English 3 days a week and S3 Geography 1 day a week, I view my role is more as a teacher's aide/mentor. In particular, I'm trying not to overstep my boundaries and be the "primary teacher." As soon as the lesson ends for the day, for instance, teachers tend to abruptly leave their class and head back to the teacher's quarters. I stay behind to help the students with their work or to answer any questions. I consider myself to be more useful this way than by introducing new material.

One of the main problems with the Ugandan schooling system is that students are generally not encouraged nor challenged to think critically, asking why something is the way it is. For the first few weeks, I merely observed students copying the material off the board, not necessarily understanding what was being taught or asking questions. To counter this problem, I've decided to write weekly worksheets/practice exercises that not only check for comprehension, but also provoke critical thinking and creativity. Last week, I put the notion of worksheets to the test, and it worked wonders. It was like night and day. A good majority of the class participated in the exercises; students seemed to be more actively engaged in the material and enthused for learning. Its success was confirmed when my co-teacher asked me after the lesson if I could produce more worksheets the following week. I gladly accepted.

I was also excited last Friday when a couple of students asked me if they could have "pen-pals" from the United States. I'm not sure about the feasibiity of "pen-pals" due to the poor mailing system in-country, but I'm still trying to organize some form of letter/postcard exchange with a middle school or high school class back home. The benefits of cross-cultural learning is tremendous, and certainly aligns with two of Peace Corps' core goals.

"Libraries for Life"

Described in an earlier blog post, my "Libraries for Life" secondary project is now in full swing. Partnering with Books for Africa (BfA) and working with fellow PCV Linda Baum, the project aims to instill an educational yet fun culture of reading by building libraries constituting 22,000 donated books (provided by BfA) in two preidentified schools.

In preparation for the arrival of the 22,000 books in-country later this year, I'm trying to ready the classroom-turned-in-library by getting workers to paint the room's walls; install iron bar windows; and secure tables, bookshelves, and chairs, hopefully of which will be donated by a carpenter in town.

All that stands between the books' arrival into port (Kampala) and delivering the books to the schools is $15,000 ($12,700 shipping charges, $2,000 port/clearence charges) that needs to be fundraised. If you are interested in donating to the cause, please be on the lookout for the "Libraries for Life - Peace Corps Uganda 2011" project group page on facebook (I will create this soon), as well as the donation page linked from the Books for Africa website (I will send this out soon).

Here is more detailed information about our project:

Project Title: Libraries for Life - Peace Corps Uganda 2011
Project Objectives:
(1) To fight poverty through reading
(2) To enhance the quality of teaching of the teachers and the quality of learning of the students by providing them with textbooks, reading materials, novels, and other resources
(3) To train preidentified teachers in library management so that the libaries can be sustainable, long-term, and achieve their intended purposes
Who Will Benefit: The students and teachers at Kogunga High Secondary School in Kachumbala, as well as at another primary or secondary school in Soroti.
Where Donations Will Go: All donations will go to clearing and paying for the shipping/port charges upon the books' arrival in-country.
Contact Information: bkobick@gmail.com, lindabaum@msn.com

Thank you in advance for any sum of money you are able to donate!

"Also..."

I am interested in setting up either a weekly youth group that promotes integrity, teamwork, and companionship through sports, games, and other recreational activities, or a girls empowerment group that allows them to openly discuss issues, challenges, or problems they are currently facing in their lives (I would co-lead this group with my supervisor for the presence of a female figure). Hopefully, I am able to start one of these groups soon.

"Events on the Horizon"

UPCOMING EVENTS

April 1st - Peace Corps' 50th Anniversary Celebration
April 19th - Celebrating Passover in Mbale, as well as my mother's birthday in spirit!
April 24th - Celebrating Easter at a fellow PCV's site
April 26th - Promoting World Malaria Day at a fellow PCV's site with guest speakers, educational activities, games/contests, a dance party, and a mosquito net distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment